Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Using your Experience as a Student

 Excellent teachers use their own experiences to shape their teaching style.

Think of past teachers – Who taught you your trade?  Whose guidance was most valuable?  Think of what this person did that helped you learn, and see if you can do that with your own students.

In my experience, the most influential teachers helped me to think in an entirely different way.  They showed  me the benefit of questioning my assumptions.  When I'm confused about something, I can express what and why I'm confused because of them. 

For classroom management purposes, reflect on your behavior as a student during your training.  How did your behavior affect your learning, your relationships with peers and teachers, and your overall success?


Knowing the kind of behavior you exhibited as a student and understanding how your peers acted during your training will help you identify what kinds of behavior to expect from students, what kind of behavior you desire in students, and how to react to different behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment